Monday 19 March 2012

Shall I give you a good Klout?

I started using twitter about 2 and a half years ago. I never really got the purpose of Klout. In fact, I hated it really. I felt it was judgemental and pointless. I mean, how can it really work?

Then I started Adore Social Media, and got myself trained as a Hootsuite professional. Then I saw what Klout can do. You can use it to save streams and filter who you want to listen to talking about the keyword you've chosen.

For example, I chose 'social media' and saved it in a hoot suite search. I can then filter this stream, so I can only see people with a Klout score over 50 (e.g.) who are talking about it.

The Klout score measures their influence, not their ability. And therein lies the problem. What if you're just starting out in your chosen field, and you're really really good at it, but not that many people are talking to you, or listening to you yet? Your Klout score goes up the more you influence people with higher scores, so it can take a while to build it.

The problem is, I can't ignore it, I have to partake, because other people lend so much weight to it. So I have to make sure I'm talking about social media etc to keep it up and I have to make sure I engage enough, to keep it up. Fortunately, I do all that naturally, so I don't need to think about it at all, but what if I didn't? It's so damn elitist, separating people into groups or classes yet again. Maybe that's just human nature; to pigeon hole everyone, and find out where they fit?

So, I've not really thought about it to much, if you're engaged and using social media the way you should, it will go up anyway, but my thought on the subject is, who cares about a number? Why should we worry what it is? Just talk to each other as is the point of social media, and you will soon work out who is and isn't worth talking to!

If we all stop caring about Klout, maybe those that put so much weight on it will be able to let it go. Although there is something kind of addictive in getting it higher and higher, and I've got to admit, I was a little bit pleased when I checked and it was 61.

SOMEONE SAVE ME FROM THIS INSANITY PLEASE!!!!!

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment