Thursday 7 June 2012

Which buttons do you press?

People ask me all the time whether I've used this or that website, this or that piece of software.

Generally, and sometimes a bit embarrassingly, I haven't. Sometimes I haven't even heard of them. Should I confess that though, I'm met with the most horrified of faces.

But that's ok, because whilst they're so caught up in the technology, and what buttons to press, I'm busy pushing people's buttons, not websites.

You see, to get social media right, in my opinion, you have to focus on behaviour. Technology is the smallest part of it. It's tiny weeny. Don't get me wrong, it's useful, but it shouldn't be your biggest concern, you'll learn as you go along, or by asking questions.

I teach my 121 clients about the technology side of it, but really, they come to me because they want to build relationships, and learn how to make money from it. Telling the what buttons to push on a website isn't going to get them very far.

Next time you're tweeting for your business, imagine you were reading it. How would you react to it? Remember that sadly, nobody is as interested in your business as you.

Are you being too pushy? Are you trying to sell too much? Put yourself in your readers shoes, and then you will easily see what buttons to push.

No comments:

Post a Comment